.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Readings on Sexuality and Racism :: Sexuality Sex Racism Racist Essays

Readings on Sexuality As I begun to read chapter four I thought that it would be one of the most interesting and informative for me. The further I got in to the reading I realized I couldnt assort too much of what was said. The first impression I chose was a basic for the chapter, sexual activity is non instinctive but learned from our families, our peers, sex education in school, popular culture, negotiations with partners, and listening to our own bodies. I fall in never thought about my sexuality in that way. As I read I was ask myself, where did I learn to be so sexual, where did it come from? I never realized what I had learned along the way or who from.The second concept I found interesting was that of the excogitate vagina. As the book has said, for many women the word vagina is associated with shame, embarrassment, and silencing, even violation. As I remember I saw a version of The Vagina Monologues at Portland State a few years back and as comfortable as I thought I w as with my gender and sexuality I did feel embarrassed. I felt a little ashamed, but as the production went on I found it entertaining. I grew more(prenominal) and more comfortable as the play went on. I also found interesting V-Day College Initiative, a nationwide project to celebrate women and oppose sexual violence. I have never heard of this V-Day, a day for women to come together. One fact I found very interesting was that of the law passed in the state of atomic number 13 on the ban on the sale or distribution of vibrators and other devices designed or marketed as primarily useful for the stimulation of human venereal organs. Politics, religion, and other social institutions put limitations on womens sexuality and sexual expression. Its not fair for old men passing these laws to tell me what I can and cannot do with my own body it disgusts me and it hard to think that it still happens today. The third concept happens to be a definition that struck me as interesting, virgin. The word virgin did not originally mean a woman whose vagina was untouched by any penis, but a free woman, one not married, not bound to, not possessed by any man. A woman who is sexually and socially her own person. Why has that definition changed into something held to such high standards?

No comments:

Post a Comment