.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Power and Privilege Homogenous Choice Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 500 words

Power and Privilege Homogenous Choice - Essay Example I believe that it is possible to respect the differences between individuals and cultures, while retaining the natural comfort level found in individual association. I call this homogenous choice. As an individual, I am aware of the differences between myself and others. Whether those differences are cultural or behavioral, I know that I can face a dilemma as I react to those differences. Although space does not permit me to delineate all of the possibilities, I think that a consolidation of the ideas comes down to one word: Respect. If my responses to the differences in people I meet, and their unique way of perceiving the world, are respectful of their point of view, I can avoid a negative perspective that includes prejudice or racism. Different isn't bad, it is just different. That said, I don't have to embrace all the differences I encounter; or even like them. I can respect my own perspective as a valid point of view, and extend that same significance to the people I meet. The guiding principle for me, as for most other people, is personal comfort. I am naturally more comfortable with certain cultures than others, especially my own. In his article on the subject of diversity, David Brooks points out that people are "finding places where [they] are comfortable and where [they] feel [they] can flourish" (30).

No comments:

Post a Comment